Monday, April 26, 2010

Gulen Should be A Voice In The West…

I was in the United States for an occasion 15 days ago. I also visited esteemed Fethullah Gulen, who had a very serious illness again last month. Because he is the Honorary President of our foundation (the Journalists and Writers Foundation), I presented some information to him about our recent studies with the feeling that this would delight his heart. He was pleased at the news and prayed.

He repeatedly said that the service to our country and to humanity, by our people who support dialogue and tolerance, whatever their world views may be, is beyond any kind of appreciation. A nice coincidence occurred as well during this visit. We watched my program, "Fruits of Dialogue," on Samanyolu Television's US broadcast together. American intellectuals visiting Turkey were expressing their feelings and ideas about Mr. Gulen in the last part. Henry Boeing appeared on the screen and said: "I pray for him everyday because I know that his health is very fragile. Although I am 10 years older than him, I hope to give him a good hug when I see him." At that moment, Mr. Gulen burst into tears and said, "He hugged [me], he hugged [me]."

I later learned that they had brought Henry Boeing to visit Mr. Gulen, and as soon as the old man saw him, he hugged him. The sentient scene, resembling the reunion of two old friend after many years, deeply affected the people there. It is no doubt that we love and respect Mr. Gulen, however, it is as if a new era is beginning. Mr. Gulen is now loved by the whole world, from Central Asia to Europe, Africa to the US and the Far East to Australia. I believe from the bottom of my heart that we shall be watching new fruits of dialogue on Samanyolu Television one day, and on many other channels within not more than 10 years. I would like to convey what Americans said about Mr. Gulen at the "Fruits of Dialogue" on Tuesday night: "It is very important that people like Fethullah Gulen appear at the forefront and speak in the name of Islam and Muslims, this shows the beauties and positive face of Islam. Thus, primarily the negative picture that Westerners see on television screens, can be discarded by the magnificent job accomplished by Muslims like Fethulah Gulen, in every nook and corner of the world.

"Frankly, I believe that this man has the capacity to change the world. Just like Gandhi. I really believe that his movement will change us and the whole world.

"A good fruit comes from a good tree. In this case, the roots of the good tree are in Fethullah Gulen's philosophy and ideas.

"When I read Gulen's ideas from the English translation of his books, I pass out because these are ideas which I have valued for years. We are all human beings. Why are we here if we don't help each other? If I cannot approach the thoughts of others with tolerance and if they cannot look at me with tolerance, what then is the meaning of life? And opening of schools and establishing dialogue, starting from the ideas of one person All these give me hope, give the world hope.

"His path is not political and not solely religious either. It is a path with no cliques, politics. It is a path of sacrifice, expecting nothing in return Instead of divisions and quarrels, he builds bridges. "The Gulen movement is a perfect example of explaining to Americans in general, and the youths in particular, that Islam is not a religion of terror and Muslims are not terrorists.

"I think Gulen has taught people that their lives do not only belong to them and that they cannot live only for themselves.

"Mr. Gulen, I thank you because you've touched many people's lives." The world should know Fethullah Gulen. I think he should express and introduce himself more. Even if this is against his principles of modesty, the world needs his ideas. He should be a world leader in terms of a spiritual movement. And we should nominate this man as a candidate for the Nobel prize.

"I call on him to be a voice in the West, especially a voice that appeals to Westerners. People who hear his song and discover themselves, and say thanks to him, are the real gifts. We thank you."

ZAMAN

No comments:

Post a Comment